#GOPTaxScam Caroling to Hold Congress Accountable and Save Health Care
Right now, Republicans are trying to jam through their tax bill to give huge tax cuts to millionaires, billionaires, and wealthy corporations while raising taxes for many middle-class families and attempting to repeal Obamacare’s individual insurance mandate. This is more than just a blatant scam on the people to transfer wealth to the very rich. It is now also a full assault on health care.
If successful, the GOP tax scam would
- leave 13 million people without health care coverage and raise coverage costs for almost everyone else by double digits,
- take away the Child Tax Credit from over 3 million children,
- give 53% of the total tax cuts in 2018 to the richest 1%,
- repeal tax deductions for teachers buying school supplies but allow corporations to deduct business expenses, and
- hurt middle-class families, people with student loans, and residents of states and cities with high local and state taxes.
Will you host a Tax Scam Caroling accountability event the week after Thanksgiving—Wednesday, November 29 through Saturday, December 2—and stand up to the scrooges behind this morally bankrupt tax scam? That’s a critical window of time where we have the opportunity to stop the bill in its tracks and hold accountable any members of Congress who vote for it.
Hosting is easy! MoveOn will provide a step-by-step guide and all the materials you need to have an awesome event—we'll even share some fun parody carols you can sing to your member of Congress—or make your own! All you have to do is this:
- Gather friends, family, MoveOn members and allies (we’ll help you recruit), dress up in your holiday best, visit your member of Congress’s local office or a holiday shopping area, and treat everyone to Tax Scam Caroling.
- MoveOn will provide signatures of local constituents who signed a petition demanding Congress reject the Trump Tax Scam—tie them up in a pretty bow and deliver them like a present!
- And then, if you’d like, invite your fellow activists for a cup of hot cocoa to celebrate a tough but rewarding year of resistance.
Are you in? Fill out the form below to register your event now.