Host a Wave: Resist & Win Voter Contact Day of Action
In 2017, we resisted. In 2018, we win ... if we organize.
We can transform our government and end GOP control of the House. We can give ourselves a shot at winning Medicare for All, ending the separation of families, and unrigging the system so that all people—white, Black, brown, and everyone—can thrive.
But only if we organize! That's why MoveOn members and allies are coming together to talk with voters, to listen, and to have the conversations that mean the difference between winning or losing a close election. If we can win 24 seats, we can end GOP control of the House come November 6.
At MoveOn Wave events, you'll join other volunteers to make a difference at a voter contact shift at a local campaign office of a candidate for U.S. House that will help end GOP control of Congress.
OR if you don’t live in or near a priority swing district (or can’t travel to one), you can team up with other volunteers to make calls to crucial voters in priority districts from anywhere in the country.
Sign up to host a Wave Voter Contact Day of Action!
Instructions for hosts:
- All events should be held between October 20 and November 6, 2018, with start times between 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. local time on the dates listed below. Plan your Wave event for one of the following weeks of action, where we'll demonstrate what we are for and what is motivating us to get involved. You may post an event outside of the dates listed below and recruit your own participants; MoveOn will only recruit fellow MoveOn members for approved events on the dates listed below. The themes below are optional; you will not be required to incorporate the theme into your event, though recruitment messages to MoveOn members will incorporate the theme.
- November 3-5: The Last Weekend
- November 6: Election Day
- The posting deadlines are as follows to be eligible for MoveOn to help you recruit to your event:
- For events Saturday of a Wave Week of Action, post your event here by the preceding Monday at 8 p.m. ET. (Example: If your event is Saturday, October 20, post it by Monday, October 15 at 8 p.m. ET to be eligible for MoveOn recruitment support.)
- For events Sunday or Monday of a Wave Week of Action, post your event here by the preceding Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET. (though we recommend posting by Monday 8 p.m. ET to be eligible for earlier recruitment support.)
- For events Tuesday or Wednesday of a Wave Week of Action, post your event here by the preceding Saturday at 8 p.m. ET.
- This event page is for Waves supporting candidates for U.S. House or U.S. Senate. It is also for Waves supporting candidates for Governor in the following states: Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, and Vermont. Due to state campaign finance laws, do not post events for any other non-federal candidates. Check candidates.moveon.org for the current list of MoveOn member-endorsed candidates. When posting your event, include the name of the candidate your event is supporting. A volunteer or staff person will contact you if that is not a race that MoveOn is involved in. If you are hosting an event outside a swing district and don’t yet know what candidate your event will support, it’s okay to not name a candidate; we’ll make suggestions!
- You may contact the local campaign office of a MoveOn member-endorsed candidate to find out when the next voter contact shift is. We recommend inviting MoveOn members to meet you at the campaign office, or at a nearby venue such as a coffee shop or park, for introductions before beginning the voter contact volunteer shift. By working together, we demonstrate the independent progressive power of MoveOn members. Please refer to the memo "Legal Guidance for Resist & Win Volunteers" for information on talking with campaign offices.
- OR if you don’t live in or near a top priority MoveOn member-endorsed candidate, you can go ahead and schedule your own time and place to host an event during one of the Weeks of Action where you call the most crucial voters in the country.
- You can find the Wave Host Guide here. If you're hosting a Call Party, your guide is here. We will hold prep calls for hosts and answer your questions.
- There can be no charge or fee to attend a Wave event.
- Waves are generally direct voter contact events: canvassing door-to-door or calling voters. Events besides those activities, such as postcard or letter-writing, at this time will not qualify as Waves and should not be posted on this page unless neither you nor other MoveOn members would incur any costs related to volunteering (postage and the like).
- RSVP here for the #ResistAndWin Interest Call & Host Prep Call this coming Tuesday, October 30, at 8:30 pm ET (7:30 CT/6:30 MT/5:30 PT). This call will prepare new and returning voter contact event hosts to lead impactful voter contact events with fellow MoveOn members and allies, and provide information for interested members about how to get involved.
- You can edit this sample text to reflect the details of your event for use in the event description field below. Please make sure to clearly state in the event title and description which candidate(s) the Wave event will be volunteering for.
Sample event description for in-district events: Join with fellow progressives at Progressive Park on Saturday, October 20 at 9:30 a.m. for a Resist & Win Voter Contact Wave event. We'll do the work that wins elections: we'll talk with voters about the issues that are important to us, hear their concerns, and help motivate them to vote. We'll meet at Progressive Park at 9:30 a.m. for coffee and donuts, and then walk together across the street to [candidate's name] campaign office to show that we are united as MoveOn and ready to win!
Sample attendee message for in-district events: Wear comfortable shoes and clothes, and bring water, a snack, and anything else you might want to be comfortable while out talking with voters. I'm looking for three volunteers who can help as Social Media captains to document and promote our voter contacts. Call Mary Jones at 333-222-3409 or use the email tool below to send an email to the event host.
Sample event description for virtual out-of-district events: Join with fellow progressives at Progressive Coffee on Tuesday, October 23 at 5:30 p.m. for a Resist & Win Voter Contact Wave event. We'll do the work that wins elections: we'll talk with voters about the issues that are important to us, hear their concerns, and help motivate them to vote. We’ll be making calls to voters in the most important House races to help end GOP control of Congress, and we’ll have fun doing it!
Sample attendee message for virtual out-of-district events: Bring your fully charged phones, a phone charger, and an external battery if you have one. If you have a laptop you can use, please bring that and a power cord as well. I'm looking for one volunteer who can help as a Social Media captain to document and promote our voter contacts. I would also love volunteers to help with confirmation calls and event logistics.
If you have questions, please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.